Three is the magic number


I have to drive a fair way to and from work every day, and this means that I am often in the situation where I find something on the Today Programme is so utterly cringe-worthy that I can no longer listen to it. So I hit the button for Radio One and do a few minutes of Chris Moyles before hitting the button for Radio 4 again.

I don't even bother trying Radio 2.

Currently receiving Radio One daytime play is a new single by Britney Spears. Normally I tune out pop song lyrics because 99.9% of them are banal rhymes about 'love' and 'above', but this morning I listened to the Britney song and was intrigued to discover that she has managed to get a song about threesomes into the charts. Here are some choice lyrics:

1, 2, 3
Peter, Paul & Mary 3
Gettin' down with repeat
Everybody loves (oh)
Countin'

Merrier the more
Triple fun that way
Twister on the floor
What do you say?

1, 2, 3
Not only you and me
Got one eighty degrees
And I'm caught in between
Countin'

Three is a charm
Two is not the same
I don't see the harm
So are you game?

Lets' make a team
Make 'em say my name
Lovin' the extreme
Now are you game?

What we do is innocent
Just for fun and nothin' meant
If you don't like the company
Let's just do it you and me
You and me
Or three
Or four
- On the floor

which I think is quite an adult theme for daytime radio - although I'm not sure how many Radio One listeners would understand what it's about. It certainly seems quite a bit racier than 'Relax' - although obviously no one these days seems to mind. Mostly though the thing that I pondered was how the marketing concept behind the song was created. Was it something that Britney penned herself and really wanted to share with her fans - or was it, as I suspect, a cynical marketing ploy to cast Britney as a 21st century libertine, and if so, how complicit is she in the marketing department creation of her own 'brand image', and is she happy with it?








1 comments:

Brit said...

Her previous song was "If You Seek Amy" (say it aloud), so she's clearly decided to 'push the envelope'.