Lonely


Darren Almond
is a London based photographer/ artist that I like. His pictures offer a lonely viewpoint of inhospitable lands. Hidden vistas closed to man, where there is no touch of our hand on the landscape, places where we can only pass hurriedly through. Huge elemental places that make a mockery of our tiny lifespans and fragile egos.

Cold and lonely, they seem to operate in a similar, less kitsch way to the melancholy germanic folklore of Caspar David Friedrich - most of his stuff is cloyingly twee, but below is a painting that I love as it, more than any other painting I can think of, conjours up how I imagine the desolate, sad and shattered wastes of Frankenstein's Monster. Which has to be my favourite, least favourite place to imagine in all the books I have ever read.



0 comments: