The Unabomber



This spooky image is rendered even more spooky when you discover that this was the home of sociopathic murderer, The Unabomber. During his trial, every item he owned was shipped across country as evidence to be used by the FBI, including his mountain hut, which is here photographed in storage at a federal facility.

I was moved to think about the Unabomber by the always excellent Brit
- a man who has begun to record his "steady ascent into rusticicity"

the parallels are alarming. Wikipedia says:

"In 1971, Kaczynski moved into a remote cabin he built himself in Lincoln, Montana where he lived a simple life on very little money, without electricity or running water.

Kaczynski's original goal was to move out to a secluded place and become self-sufficient so that he could live autonomously. He began to teach himself survival skills. However, he quickly realized that it was not possible for him to live that way, as a result of watching the wild land around him being ruined by development and industry.
The ultimate catalyst which drove him to begin his campaign of bombings, was when he went out for a walk to one of his favorite wild spots to find it had been destroyed and replaced with a road. About this, he said:

The best place, to me, was the largest remnant of this plateau that dates from the tertiary age. It's kind of rolling country, not flat, and when you get to the edge of it you find these ravines that cut very steeply in to cliff-like drop-offs and there was even a waterfall there. It was about a two days hike from my cabin. That was the best spot until the summer of 1983. That summer there were too many people around my cabin so I decided I needed some peace. I went back to the plateau and when I got there I found they had put a road right through the middle of it" His voice trails off; he pauses, then continues, "You just can't imagine how upset I was. It was from that point on I decided that, rather than trying to acquire further wilderness skills, I would work on getting back at the system. Revenge. "

3 comments:

Brit said...

Ah, thanks Worm. Glad you've detected the violent sociopathic motives implicit in my rustification.

worm said...

..it was all evident in your fastidious use of punctuation.

You see, I've decided to focus my life on becoming the internet's first graphologist.

Gareth Williams said...

Brit, aka the Unablogger, may I suggest you hole up in a cave in the Forest of Dean? It's the closest we've got to a place without civilisation. And just about commutable.